|Moon Beam Mirlitons (Vegetable Pear or Chayote Squash)|
Recipe type: Side Dish, Appetizer
Prep time: 35 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 55 mins
This is comfort food that will bring a smile to your face. Squash filled with tasty stuffing, how can you not love that? Leave out the seafood and sausage to make it a vegetarian delight. *No Coyotes were squashed during the preparation of this dish.
- 5 large mirliton (chayote) squash
- 1 lb. cooked, peeled shrimp (or crawfish)
- lb. dried ham or prosciutto (optional)
- 1 small white onion
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1 stalk celery
- c. fresh parsley
- 1 T. fresh basil
- c. red bell pepper
- c. plain bread crumbs
- lemon, juiced
- 1 t. Cosmic Cajun Universal Seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 1 t. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of salted water and 1 tsp. olive oil to boil.
- Add mirlitons and cook 10 minutes or until they are slightly soft when pierced with a fork.
- Remove mirlitons from boiling water and drain.
- Cut 4 mirlitons in half, lengthwise & remove seed.
- Scoop out a small hollow in the center of each half of the squash and reserve the flesh. Set aside to cool.
- Chop the remaining whole squash into ¼” chunks and add to the bowl of reserved squash flesh. Set aside.
- Chop shrimp (or crawfish) into small pieces.
- Finely dice bell pepper, onion garlic & celery.
- Chop parsley and basil.
- Add EVOO & pat of butter to sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Cook onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic just until soft.
- Add the reserved squash flesh, seafood and ham or prosciutto (if using). Cook for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour contents into a large mixing bowl.
- Add bread crumbs, parsley, basil, lemon juice and Cosmic Cajun Universal Seasoning and mix well. Salt to taste.
- Use a large spoon or your hands to scoop stuffing and pack lightly into the hollow of each squash half.
- Place into a greased baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges and parsley sprigs.
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe